Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Our Pine Dining Room

Although I prefer to work in hardwood we wanted a warm, informal dining room so we went with Pine. The Sideboard above was actually the last piece to be built, the whole process taking a few years to complete. Jennifer came up with a general design idea and the basic dimensions and I engineered it for actual building. The teacup/teapot handles on the drawers were found at Pier 1 Imports years ago. She didn't want any handles on the cabinet doors so as not to make the piece too busy.
Our dining table can seat ten people. It is seven feet long and three feet wide. The drawers on the one side go the full depth of the table and are very spacious. The benches were built by Jennifer's grandfather for his own family of five children, many years ago. We deliberately left it unfinished so it would collect the life of our family as we used it. Homeschooling three sons, rolling cookies and doing small repairs, along with many art projects have left a patina of history on its surface.
This was first piece I made for the dining room. While recovering from heart surgery, thirteen years ago, I decided I wanted to create something I could pass on to my sons. So began my adventure with wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment